Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday: Food Bank/ Soda Jerk



Today begins one of my very favorite parts of summer- volunteering at the Brazos Valley Food Bank!  The kids LOVE LOVE LOVE doing this every few weeks and it always sparks some very interesting conversations about the realities of our community... 
Here's a picture of the volunteers from exactly one year ago :)

This will be our first step in our thoughtful Thursday adventure!




I should start this second part by saying that my grandfather is almost 88 years old.  He lives close by, but we don't visit nearly enough... He LOVES telling stories about how he was a 'soda jerk' in the 30's and he really does make the best rootbeer floats ever.  Today, we are surprising him with Bluebell Homemade Vanilla ice cream, A&W Rootbeer, and a frosty mug.  I'm sure he'll want to make it, but I want my kids to have the same memories and hear the same stories I did growing up, so we'll watch and listen and soak up the history.... oh, how I love this man!

No comments:

Post a Comment